Legal Issues

Tab/Accordion Items

Please contact the North Carolina Judicial Standards Commission. The Commission is authorized to investigate claims and complaints regarding judicial misconduct, and recommend disciplinary actions.

Please visit the Commission's website for more information. The Commission can be contacted by telephone at (919) 831-3630 or by mail at North Carolina Judicial Standards Commission, P.O. Box 112, Raleigh, North Carolina, 27602.

Please contact the Governor’s Clemency Office for more information on pardons or commutations. A staff member will be able to answer your questions and determine your eligibility.

Governor’s Clemency Office
4294 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4294
Phone: 919-324-1456

Expungements are handled through the North Carolina Court System. You may wish to seek legal counsel for help with this process. More information about expungements and eligibility is available from the Administrative Office of the Courts:

North Carolina Court System
Administrative Office of the Courts

In North Carolina, only an appellate court can overturn a conviction. If you have evidence that you were wrongfully convicted, you should present that proof through a qualified lawyer to the appropriate appellate court for review and consideration.

If you do not have legal counsel to represent you, please contact the North Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service website or call 1-800-622-7660 or the North Carolina Center for Actual Innocence at (919) 489-3268.

To file complaints about representation provided by a North Carolina lawyer, please call the North Carolina State Bar at (919) 828-4620 or visit the Information Page at the State Bar website.

If you are a victim of a crime and are in need of resources or more information, please contact the North Carolina Department of Justice’s Public Protection Section at (919) 716-6780.

The North Carolina Department of Public Safety offers resources for those who have been convicted of a crime.

  • The Adult Corrections system has multiple educational and workforce training programs for current inmates; for more information about these programs, please visit the Adult Corrections website for more details.
  • The Juvenile Justice Division provides court services, community programs, and planning for the juvenile system. More information can be found at the Juvenile Justice website.
  • Transition services and resource guides for each county can be found at the Transition Services website or by calling (919) 324-6411.

The North Carolina Post-Release Supervision and Parole Commission is an independent agency that reviews each case individually. To contact the Commission, you can email the Commission at, call (919) 716-3010 or mail your complaint at the following address:

NC Post-Release Supervision and Parole Commission
4222 Mail Service Center
Raleigh N.C. 27699-4222

The North Carolina Department of Public Safety handles all cases involving Adult Corrections or Juvenile Justice.

If you have concerns or a grievance that you wish to express, please contact the department at:

NC Department of Public Safety
4201 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4201

You can contact individual divisions within DPS through the Contact List.

Our office is not able to provide legal advice to members of the public. To find a lawyer or receive legal advice, please visit the North Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service website or call 1-800-622-7660 or your local Legal Aid Office.